Overview of knee pain
Knee pain is an extremely common problem. It can affect not only athletes, but the average weekend warrior or the average joe/jane. Not only will knee pain keep you from doing the activities you love, it prevents you from doing your daily movements - like standing and walking.
A couple of the biggest reasons for knee pain are:
1) Bad tissue in the quads: This one is very common as we become quad dominant and overuse these muscles. When this happens you develop a lot of adhesion in the muscle, which makes it weaker and less flexible. Over time the muscles can't support the knee and the knee cartilage gets really beat up.
2) The articular capsule of the knee, more commonly just called the knee capsule. This structure is one that tends to get really “junked” up with what is called adhesion when the knee doesn't get proper support from the hamstrings and quads.
The capsule is really important to help support the deep structures in the knee, especially the tendons and cartilage. When the capsule has adhesion it causes more force to have to be distributed to the cartilage and tendon. When this happens things break down quicker, when things break down quicker you end up getting early degeneration of the knee.
Degeneration is a big deal, because it is progressive and doesn't go away.
Knee replacements are on the rise, you don’t have to live with knee pain!
Symptoms of Knee Pain
- Tenderness, pain, swelling and/or stiffness in the knee
- Redness and warmth to the touch.
- Weakness or instability.
- Popping or crunching noises.
- Inability to fully straighten the knee.
Commonly Treated Conditions in Our Office:
- Tendon Injuries
- Meniscus Tears
- Patellar Tendinitis
- Patellar Tracking problems
- Ligament Injuries
How We Help:
Knee problems are not always easy to fix! Most cases have developed over time and require more than just a “quick fix.” Through complete functional movement screens, we can narrow down the exact problem and the exact tissue(s) that need to be fixed. We utilize joint manipulation, manual soft tissue treatments, exercises and stretches to work on relieving pain and correcting complications associated knee pain and dysfunction. Better diagnosis in our office, means better treatment and faster results for you!
If you think you have, or are struggling with shoulder pain call our office at 616-956-1112 or click below to schedule an appointment!